The Grasshopper nut, produced with the help of James Cole-Henry from FRC team 95, The Grasshoppers, is an innovative battery solution to increase the reliability of battery terminal connections.
- x2 Grasshopper Nuts
- x2 PEM Nuts, pressed into the sheet metal Grasshopper Nut
- x2 Nordlock washers
- 10-32 x 5/8" long hex head bolt
The Grasshopper Nut allows for a few things:
- The aluminum nut plate provides a second frictional/mechanical interlock between the battery terminals. This engagement is so good that the potting around the battery tab will crack before the joint is loosened. No more loose battery lugs!
- The threads and bolt head/lock washer are mechanically coupled, so a single Nord lockwasher can lock the whole assembly together exactly as the washer was designed to do
- The extra material, flange head bolt, and PEM nut create a broad, even, clamping load on the terminal, reducing the chances of cupping and deformation that will reduce the electrical efficacy of the terminal